Shahrukh Khan, fondly known as SRK, is one of the biggest superstars in India. The charismatic actor has been dominating the Bollywood film industry for nearly three decades. His massive fan following and box office success have helped him amass a huge net worth. Let’s take a closer look at how SRK built his massive fortune.
Shahrukh Khan was born on 2nd November 1965 in New Delhi, India. His parents were Muslim migrants from Pakistan. SRK’s father worked with All India Radio (AIR) while his mother was a magistrate. Since childhood, SRK dreamt of being an actor. He received his undergraduate degree from Hansraj College and then a Master’s degree in film promotion and marketing from Jamia Millia Islamia university.
Also Read This:Salman Khan Net Worth in 2022
SRK started his career with several TV serials in the late 1980s. He made his Bollywood debut in 1992 with Deewana. However, his major breakthrough performance came with Baazigar in 1993. His roles as the romantic hero in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995) and the tragic lover in Dil Se.. (1998) established him as a rising star.
From the 2000s onward, SRK starred in multiple blockbusters like Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Kal Ho Naa Ho, Veer Zaara, Chennai Express, and many more. He also ventured into film production with his company Red Chillies Entertainment. Apart from movies, SRK has endorsed several brands from Mountain Dew to Pepsi.
- SRK reportedly charges over ₹100 crore as fees for an endorsement deal.
- For movies, SRK charges around ₹80 -150 crore as remuneration which includes his acting fees and profit share.
- He also takes a percentage of the distributor’s share as part of his payments.
SRK owns several luxurious properties across India and abroad. This includes:
- Mannat: His lavish home in Mumbai worth ₹200 crore. It has 6 floors and featured in several movies and music videos.
- An apartment in London estimated to be worth ₹53 crore.
- A villa in Dubai worth ₹100 crore, which is often used to spend holidays with his family.
- A farmhouse in Alibaug near Mumbai spread across 34 acres.
In total, SRK’s real estate assets are valued at over ₹400 crore.
So based on his movie earnings, brand endorsement fees, and property holdings, Shahrukh Khan’s net worth is estimated to be around ₹1400 – 1500 crore (US$200-210 million). He remains one of the highest paid celebrities in India even at the age of 56.
Here are some details about Shahrukh Khan’s film production company Red Chillies Entertainment:
SRK founded Red Chillies Entertainment in 2003 along with his wife Gauri Khan. The company is involved in film production and distribution, visual effects, animation and event management.
- Their first production was the 2004 thriller Main Hoon Na, starring SRK. The film was a major commercial success and launched Red Chillies on the film production scene.
- Since then, Red Chillies has produced several of SRK’s films like Chahat, Don 2, Ra.One, Chennai Express and Happy New Year among others. However not all of their productions have been box office hits.
- In 2007, Red Chillies set up a joint venture withUTV Software Communications to form Red Chillies VFX. The visual effects studio worked on several Bollywood films like Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, Love Aaj Kal, Golmaal 3 and My Name is Khan.
- In 2011, Red Chillies launched its own animation and gaming studio called Red Chillies Entertainment Games. However they have not produced many notable animation films or games yet.
- Red Chillies also manages major events like the Indian Premier League (IPL) opening and closing ceremonies. They have produced shows for prestigious events like the ISO Awards, the IIFA awards and the Star Screen Awards.
- Overall, though Red Chillies has produced some big Bollywood films, they have not been very consistent when it comes to critical and commercial success of their movies. But SRK’s star power and financial backing have helped keep the company running.
How much did SRK’s recent movies make?
SRK’s recent movies like Happy New Year (2014), Dilwale (2015) and Jab Harry Met Sejal (2017) were only moderate successes at the box office. His last big hit was Chennai Express (2013) which collected over ₹250 crore worldwide.